Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Education Can Be Beautiful

One of the most exciting part of my passion for flowers is the idea of sharing it with others. Last summer I taught teenagers, how to create colorful boutonnieres. As about thirty young men and women awkwardly stood around a few wooden picnic tables, I told them that designing flowers, like other art forms, is an incredible way to express ones self. I explained that growing up on a farm allowed me to explore communicating through different mediums. As well as feel comfortable dreaming of a future where I did what I loved. Then, I sent them all off on their own to collect flowers that reflected their personality and that they could use in practicing a new set of skills.

Through the camps that I work for during the summer, I get to contribute to others learning. I stand witness to people realizing more about themselves through what they create. I get to guide them in their own self-discovery, and witness incredible products of labor and love unfold. 
The unbelievably unique and intricate boutonnieres that both the girls and guys created were breathtaking!
It was a reminder of the fact that the outcome of education, teaching and learning can be beautiful, as well as rewarding. Each time I look at this picture, I don't just see the end product. I see the individuals effort, determination, beauty, and the students willingness to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment