Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Flower Crowns.

I have always enjoyed a good flower crown. For me, the beautiful ring of flowers softly placed on a head symbolizes more than just a hippie-era phenomenon. In fact, flower crowns have weaved themselves into our hair for centuries!
 Recently becoming popular again, crowns demonstrate a wildness and one-ness with nature that is often enjoyed in weddings, and music festivals. It is exciting and also funny for me to see flower crowns come back "in" as I was never really aware they had ever left.

 I grew up making flower crowns in our garden, picking buds and blooms and whispy greens to find their way into my hair, with or without a wire frame. They were part of the costume couture of fairies, and so I, whisperer of all things magical embraced these crowns fully and tried, to the best of my abilities to become a master. 
Over the years, I have found myself wearing, or making them in various places around the world. In Wales, I taught giggling girls how to weave magic into their flowers so that they too could see the fairies in the forest. In Seattle, I made a crown for a beautiful friend as we stood witness in a wedding. And for fun, just today, I made my roommate a crown with left over berries and mums I had from another arrangement 
because as much as I believe that flower crowns are a cause for celebration, I don't believe there needs to BE a celebration to wear one. 
Everyone, man and women deserves to wear a crown of flowers at least once, twice, three times. 

We all knew we may never be rich.
But we felt wealthy off the soil
so we made ourselves some flower crowns
and called each other royals.  





No comments:

Post a Comment